Skip to main content

I was one of the dengue statistics contributor for the record high

I had the dengue virus last week and I didn't know it was dengue until the rashes appeared. Adding to the complexity, I didn't even know where I was bitten as I was the only one in the family affected by this virus (Touch wood).

This comes in the news today that dengue infections has a hit a five-year high.

It all started with a paralysing fever two Sundays ago. I thought I was done with a very bad flu virus given that I was caught in the rain the night before.

Paralysing because I didn't want to do anything but to lie down and sleep. But sleeping was rather difficult too as I had chills and for some part of the nights, shivering under the blankets. It didn't help that the weather was chilly and had rained continuously for the past few days.

The fever disappeared by Tuesday morning but my body was aching. The aches were acute pains that, though painkillers did the job, I felt extremely lethargic. Even my thought process was much slower than usual.

The whole week I fought off lethargy and sudden chills. For the first time, I couldn't stand the cold of the air conditional or even the breeze from the fan directly at me.

Lethargy was soon overtaken by hunger. But the whole week was kind of strange, the body was hungry, yet I had no appetite to consume any food.

Trying to sleep at night was also a torture as my body wasn't comfortable lying down.

On Saturday, strange rashes started to appear all over my body. Red spots that looked like measles. The first doctor I went was quick to dismiss it as just another viral attack. I believe the Ministry of Environment has reported this clinic to the Ministry of Health for not giving the right diagnosis.

The Ministry of Environment will make follow-up calls to determine the source of the outbreak.

I went to another clinic for a second opinion on Sunday and immediately this doctor suspected that I had dengue and the next course of action was to go to the A&E ward for a blood test.

When I was at Changi Hospital, the waiting time started 6 hours and I thought it would be a long night ahead. But somehow, after the triage nurse, I was able to see the A&E doctor in last than an hour.

As the results might take an hour, I was put on IV drip to hydrate my body.

Soon, it was determined that I had dengue and my blood platelet was found to be at 133, which is below the min of 155. However, as I wasn't showing major symptoms of platelet lost, I was discharged the immediately but had to go to the nearest polyclinic for blood test.

The next two days was all rest. though the itch from the rash did make it hard to sleep.

Luckily, the blood test on my first visit to the polyclinic showed that my platelet returned to normal and the danger was over.

The rashes still itches the body but it subsided in another day or two.

Dengue resulted in the lost of productivity for the past two weeks so there's lots of catching up to do.

There is no cure for dengue and the best way is to prevent its spread via the Aedes mosquito.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Will mrbrown's post on Mr Tan Kin Lian's thermometer app "misadventure" promote technology ageism?

I am not ashamed to say I support Mr Tan Kin Lian as a presidential candidate because I believed in what he stood for. And when Mr Tan posted his "misadventure" with a thermometer app, I did shake my head in disbelief that he did that. Source:   http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2013/07/we-could-have-had-him-for-president.html Thinking twice, there could be a possibility that Mr Tan misunderstood how this app work. Most  thermometer app take data from various weather stations to display the temperature on it. Yes, the technology savvy will do a #facepalm when they read the post and mrbrown's post demonstrated it perfectly. Wrote mrbrown , "Maybe the former Presidential-hopeful didn't realize he needed to upgrade to the Pro version of the app. Then his iPhone would not only measure temperature, it would also measure current PSI (PM2.5 included), tell you if you are having your period, and cook instant noodles. Good thing he didn't try to measure boil

How UOB's Paper Trail Amplifies IT Greatest Security Threat

UOB required you to do everything on paper. If you want to change your mobile number for your banking account with them or for your credit card, you need to fill up a form. Yet, this paper trail represented a potential security fail for the bank - Human Error. So a bitcoin expert walked into UOB to open a bank account. The bank employee had to print a form from a online pdf document to fill in this bitcoin expert's particulars. When it came to entering the bitcoin expert's email, that's when the forgotten art of handwriting was the most obvious of the digital generation. Wrote Robert Capodieci, My name is Roberto Capodieci, as most of you know. and my email address is very obvious to decode. It is not a p4l_l337_s0u1@gmail.com, but it is a more obvious roberto@capodieci.com, thing that, right after reading my name in the same form, should come out easy. Still, a data entry personnel of the UOB bank (or of a service provider the UOB bank uses) entered it as roberto

NEL Train Fault Shouts Lack Of Crisis Communication

The North-East Line train fault of 11 April 2018 was my virgin experience of a rush hour train fault since I moved to Punggol. One would have thought that with the number of train faults experienced by the North-East Line operator, SBS Transit, they would have improved the communications and handling of train faults. However, my personal experience told another story. First, there were no announcements at the Punggol LRT stations of the train fault even though SBS Transit manages them. The train fault was reported as early as 7.10am as I had a friend who was also stuck in the train. I boarded the LRT at Coral Edge around 7.30am and I didn't hear of any announcement nor was there any signage to inform me o the train fault at Punggol Station. Second, the announcement kept saying that there would be a 15 minutes delay, but 15 minutes passed and the trains, on both side, wasn't moving. If the announcement would be more frank to say it will be a longer delay, commuters would